Thursday, September 4, 2008

798 and Gold Medals

Today was a long long day. I woke feeling surprisingly well, considering our beds are sheets of wood with a 1 inch comforter and and blanket. I think I woke up around 5am which I think would be 8pm on the west coast. I hit up the shower, which is nice - which is also refreshing because the toilet and showering works way different than in the west.

I decided to try to go and get some 'traditional' breakfast street food before we all had to meet up and start one of the coolest and long days I have ever had. About a mile west of the hostel I found what i was looking for.... 10 dumplings and 'oil bread' called youtaio


All 16 of us pilled into 2 vans and went on our way to Caochangdi Arts, which is a large property filled with artists studios and galleries.






That last piece was done by the man who owned all the properties. (apple is obviously my addition)

Next stop was the famous 798 district. Once upon a time the 798 was basically a bunch of factories, which over time evolved into art galleries, and now museums. It has become a safe haven for artists in a country were freedom of speech is not a given right, but here artists feel as free as they can to express themselves. This place is huuuge.











Oh yeah.. and 789 had a nike museum... so sick...

and duh, kobe is on the ceiling of floor one..


Is that an Oregon shirt? Oh yeah.. we invented Nike...


Endless...




We also had the rare honor of: Meeting Xiaoyong, getting a tour of CAFA (Central Academy of Fine Arts) by Xioyong, and go to the studio where him and his team do there work. Oh and Xioyong is an insane product designer who entered his designs into the open competition for the Olympic Medal design. It was a national competition. 3 of his designs were top 10, 2 of the top 3, and he ultimately won... also on his campus is an INSANE museum. Right now the exhibit is olympic inspired.. no photos where allowed =(

Than we are like kings...



like I said... long day.

3 comments:

T14 said...

Hey man, Stoked your keeping everyone up to date! That food looks bomb! I miss my Samuel. That Nike shit looked dope. Dude the puppy is crazy! He wakes me up at least three times every night.

playajay said...

bourine! i loves deez china blogs. what fun!

Little Candle Productions said...

What's with the apple?